Search This Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2012

primera fin de semana (first weekend)

the roof that needs replacing on the sunday school building and the contractor of sorts...
Royner, 3 years old (4 very soon!)
entrance to the parsonage
Baby Ashley, 5 months, Royner's sister
inside one of the rooms in the parsonage the Wichita team will cleaning, painting the walls and ceiling and adding base boards
The front of the church the group from Wichita will be working in
Mani smiling
Marion Woods with some of the group from Pennsylvania
our mixed leftovers :)
me trying my hand at domesticity... pressing curtain seams in our future house

Hola!
So hooray! it's the weekend! I guess that's exciting even though no day is actually better than the other; they're all great thus far. Actually since it was the weekend we didn't have a reason to be in the office and therefore didn't have an internet connection.
I suppose I left off on Thursday night with our Costa Rican comida. Friday morning we did more work in the office translating Sunday School stuff, which I’m really getting the hang of and have developed a system for. I hope the system makes sense to whoever’s hands it falls into… Apparently one of the local Sunday School teachers for young kids is a 7th grader…yikes! We ended up eating our costa rican leftovers and they were delicious. We took a late lunch for some reason and therefore didn’t eat in the company of the professional Costa Rican leftover eaters (?) And mom, if there is even an ounce of space for my stuff, I suppose Tupperware would be glorious. We’re going through baggies like crazy. So bring Tupperware or baggies. Either will suffice.
For dinner on Friday we had leftovers… we had one portion of both spaghetti and chicken and rice. Couldn’t decide who wanted which, so we both had both, in the same bowl. We told this to Mary and she said that was of true costa rican form. Looks like we’re evolving. We watched Grey’s Anatomy and went to bed. Bedtime seems to be around 8:30, which is so extremely early but we end up reading till around 10:30, so that’s a little better.
I just finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for the second time. I read it for sophomore English, which was taught by Melissa Bagley, who was extremely inspiring and incredibly brilliant. When I heard it’s been made into a movie, I was thrilled but decided to reread the book. It has been on my list of favorite books since I read it but as I finished it today I realized that I really am not sure that I finished the book the first time around, which is nearly unbelievable but proof that it’s not the ending that makes it such a good book, it’s the writing. This makes me curious to see how the movie will convey such deep feeling. I’m assuming it will be a lot of narration. I’m a very firm believer that any book made into a movie must be read before seen. It’s like you’re let in on little secrets and underlying symbolism the average viewer misses out on. I recommend reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer asap.
Ok back to Costa Rica:
Yesterday a group of 16 people from Pennsylvania came back to the camp from a worksite in Los Chiles, a city on the Northern boarder between Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Alissa and I were in charge of preparing their lunch. A neighbor lady, Elizabeth, made lasagna for them. It was absolutely delicious. Apparently it’s common here, and why shouldn’t it be, it’s not like it’s native to our country either. It tasted a bit different but was delicious. It had onions and sweet red peppers on top, which was fantastic and easy to pick off for those who are not fans. Brilliant if you ask me. I ate them though for all of you who are assuming I didn’t. ☺
Anyway, she made the lasagna but Alissa and I prepared garlic bread (buttering French bread with this delicious pre-made garlic butter that comes in a tub like regular butter. Yummy. And we made the salad of lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers. Preparing lettuce here is quite the task…. You have to soak it in salt water for a minimum of 30 minutes to kill all the bugs and germs, then hand wash each leaf to make sure all the dirt is gone. Yikes, and we think it takes effort to eat healthily in the states?? We cut up the tomatoes and cucumber and tossed it in there and at the last minute you add lemon juice and salt as the dressing. Everyone said it was delicious and tasted really fresh. I think the only food, in my opinion, worse than those three things (lettuce, tomato, cucumber) is pickles, so I clearly didn’t touch the salad. We made lemonade from scratch, which takes more sugar than anyone should ever know…. And coffee. It was a successful lunch and we were proud to manage our time perfectly so that everything was hot and ready.
After that we went to Santa Rita where the team from my church will be working when they come next week. They will be working on a parsonage and a Sunday school building.
Well I’m starving and food and internet do not exist at the same time here.
I’ll fill you in on today’s activities tomorrow.
Love to all!
Molly
p.s. happy belated birthday to my awesome cousin, Cathy!!
p.p.s i have lots of pictures to add but for some reason the option to do so is not on here right now... i'll try tomorrow when i have a stronger connection

No comments:

Post a Comment